Friday, January 9, 2009

When Life Hurts Most

Well if you know me you know I love my Fridays like I love my Wednesdays. Friday nights I am a small group leader for Verge. You may be asking yourself what is Verge well it is a program that uses a curriculum called Life Hurts God Heals. It is a 13 week step study of sorts geared toward teenagers to help them deal with their hurts, habits or hang-ups.

Each week a wonderful man whose heart is really burdened for teenagers leads our large group time and talks to the kids in a way they can relate. After large group we meet in small groups and get to share with one another our hurts, habits and hang ups. My prayer each week is that God will make my time count with these young women and that they will know how much God loves them. I want them to hold on to Jesus and look to Him to rescue them from their pain.

God has really been impressing on me that it is only through a relationship with Him that these gals can experience true healing and life change. I can't tell you their struggles but I can tell you their pain is deep and I just wanted to do whatever I could to try and take it away. I thought I'll bake them cookies, I'll buy them cross necklaces or bible promise books or .....I'll rent a limo and take them to see Christmas lights But I heard God tell me "Julie you can't bake them enough cookies or buy them enough things or take them enough places to take their pain away it is only through Me trust Me...trust Me..."

It has been so hard to turn them over to God because I want to protect them but the reality is I can't it is only through God can they experience true freedom from their hurts, habits and hang-ups. Our group is called Chi Sigma so when God brings us to mind pray that we all will find God and hold onto Him with everything we have and turn it all over to Him! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I found you! I am going to have to take some time to sit and catch up...but I loved this post! I have read through all of them, but wow! Thanks for sharing! I love you and loved seeing you on Monday. Thanks for being there.

    ReplyDelete