Thursday, January 29, 2009

Walking with Dinosaurs




Well here are my boys with their full marble jar! A friend of mine has a "Ask me Wednesday" post in which she answers any question folks might want to ask her and that's where I got this idea. What is the idea? I'm glad you asked! We started this a few months ago and what I do is when the boys are exhibiting positive behavior which can be a variety of things from not complaining, getting along, helping without being asked....you get the idea........I let them put a marble or two in the jar and once it gets full they get a special reward. I just didn't want to always focus on disciplining and not focus on all the great things they do. I have just been convicted that to only focus on correction without an ample amount of praise they might tend to feel they never do anything right. I want them to know I think they are amazing and am so grateful God picked me to be their Mommy.

Well they got their jar full and Breck got us tickets to go see Walking with Dinosaurs which was at the BOK Center. They were surprised and didn't have any idea where we were going or what they were going to see until the announcer said "Walking with Dinosaurs will begin in 5 minutes". They were delighted and it was a wonderful, sweet and sad time. I know it is a little conflicting. The show in itself was done very well. The dinosaurs looked amazing and to the adult eye mechanical and human as well as realistic as possible. The raptors had men in them so they could run around and really get around but you could see their legs although they did camouflage them and the big long necks, stegosaurus, and t-rex were on a stand of sorts that moved them around although their legs did move too which helped to make it look more real.
These are the raptors prowling around. It was difficult to really capture all that we saw.

This was the finale the big T-Rex. Jared did actually clap his hands with excitement about the prospects of seeing this one.

We had excellent seats and were really close to all the action. Griff was mesmerized with all of the dinosaurs and asked Breck why some had that "thing" on the bottom of them so Breck's reply was so the dinosaurs could not run off. Seemed logical enough to Griff because he saw them as real. Griff's experience was filled with wonder and amazement. That was cool!

It is amazing how much difference 18 months can make, Jared saw the mechanical but I think he wanted to see the wonder. I said our time was wonderful, sad and sweet, well this was the sad part for us that our Jared was growing up and beginning to leave the land of make believe and enter the real land. He was after me though to take pictures and try to capture some of what we were seeing. I have to confess here that they did say "no flash photography" normally I am very much a rule follower but this time I thought I see other flashes I'm just going to try and snap a few too. Now the sweet part is Jared did not want to spoil it for his little brother so he went right along with Breck in bringing more life to the dinosaurs. I loved seeing that.

It was a precious time with the boys and I guess they can't stay little forever but how magical childhood can be with not seeing any limitations . I love the stage of anything is possible and the wonder. This also reminds me of the scripture in the Bible that refers to being like a child to enter the Kingdom of God. Jared has always exhibited that childlike faith in trusting God and especially in trusting God in his prayers. When I think back on the number of times Jared has prayed and expected God to answer and how God in His wonderful Grace and Mercy has revealed Himself to Jared it makes my heart dance. I pray Jared never loses his wonder of God although I know his wonder in mechanical dinosaurs has to come to an end.

Thank you God that I have Griff who still loves the wonder of dinosaurs and thank you for Jared who shows me the wonder of YOU everyday! I love being their Momma!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Chad and Walker loved the show! I am so glad that the boys were able to go. I am excited to try the marble jar out. I think that is a great way to turn to positive encourgement, instead of negative punishment always.

    ReplyDelete