Monday, January 26, 2009

Time for Dad's Letter

This is my sweet Daddy on our last visit. I am also using this picture as my profile pic on facebook. I wish I knew how to crop it for this post but I only know how to do it on FB. I posted awhile back a letter to my Mother that I had submitted to the Mother Letter project and just felt like even though there is not a Father Letter project I wanted to share a letter I would write to my Dad.

Dear Dad,

I did not realize or understand growing up how fortunate I was to grow up in a home with a loving Father. I took for granted that everyone had a Dad that loved them and believed in them. I now know that is often times not the case and making the jump to a loving Heavenly Father is very difficult for them. It was not hard for me to understand a loving Heavenly Father that desired a relationship with me because I had you, a loving earthly Father.

You have always been a fierce protector for our family. The fact that Mom does not know how to pump her own gas still astounds me. I recall many times of being somewhere and somebody around us using language you felt was inappropriate for your family's ears and you spoke up letting them know that would not be tolerated around your family. I remember thinking: Dad it's o.k. and not wanting you to say anything because I was afraid they would hurt you. You were never afraid or showed any fear I have ever seen. I will never forget on my wedding day as you walked me down the aisle and I complained that my bouquet was so heavy and you said "I'll carry it". I have never doubted that you would do anything for me.

I know I took for granted when I was in high school that you were always waiting for me to get off the basketball bus. I don't even know how many miles you drove or how much sleep you lost travelling to see me play basketball. I do remember other gals whose parents didn't go to out of town games, missed home games and had to be called and reminded to come pick them up. I wasn't the only one that knew you were at all the games, you had a way of letting everyone know you were there. Thank you for your passion for wanting me to play to the best of my ability and even believing in my ability. I understand the many games we replayed in the living room was your way of showing me you were not giving up on me.

Thank you for having the ability to laugh at yourself when we tease you with all of the catch phrases you've created in our family: "Don't go goo goo goo Peggy, think think think" "I have more style in my little finger then you have in your whole body" "Would I make you eat grass" I also love remembering the classic charades game with your "Gone With The Wind" we laughed so hard and thought you had pulled a fast one on us. I love seeing you laugh really hard.

I have seen your compassion and outpouring of love as you have welcomed every grandchild. You were there the day Jared was born and you were there the day we got off the plane with Griff. You have loved both of my boys and have never ever made me feel they were not equally loved in the same way. How grateful I am that you have shown both of them a loving earthly Father. I know because they have a wonderful loving Pop and a wonderful loving Dad they do not find it hard to understand a loving God that desires a relationship with them. This is perhaps the one thing I am most grateful for.

You have been through a lot and have always been a pillar of strength for our family. I was so grateful that you quit smoking after your first heart attack so many years ago. I remember the helpless feeling of sitting on top of the roof and watching you fall as the ladder went out from under you. I remember the relief I felt when you woke up. I have always admired that you could fix anything and just thought that was something all Dads could do. I now know that is not always the case either. (Sorry Breck)

You are so very generous and would give anyone anything you had. You always welcomed our friends and have always made people feel welcomed in your home. I remember Grandpa your Dad always wanting us to eat and making sure we didn't leave hungry. I see that in you as well. Thank you for the countless batches of peanut brittle, homemade ice cream and grilled burgers, ribs, steaks, chicken, and all the other foods you have made over the years for us.

There is not a Proverbs 31 for Dad's but I'm sure that when you stand before God He will say "Well done my good and faithful servant". Thank you Dad for being such a great loving Father that showed me a loving Heavenly Father. I can not imagine living my life without you either but I am so grateful in being confident that death will only separate us for a moment and I have the assurance that I will get to spend eternity with you in heaven forever. You are the best and I am so very very very grateful God blessed me with you as my Daddy!

Love,
Julie

1 comment: