Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Learning Styles

In the blog world there are some amazing writers and I love reading them. Sometimes I am inspired, challenged and learn things. The other day I read this on a blog I found from another friend's blog and thought it was really interesting.

This woman is an educator and talked about how she had her students identify what kind of learner she was. She gave them classifications of paper clips, magnifying lens, teddy bears, and slinkies.

Paper clips are mastery learners, organized and attentive to detail. Teddy bears are interpersonal learners and relationship driven. Magnifying lens seek understanding through questioning. Slinkies are self-expressive, creative and high-energy learners.

In a classroom setting all of these learners are there and the average classroom is comprised of:
Paper clips - 33-35%
Magnifying lens - 18%
Teddy bears -33-35%
Slinkies - 18%

There are challenges with each type of learner; Paper clips - learn step by step, Magnifying lens - learn doubt by doubt, Teddy Bears - want everyone to feel comfortable and worry more about the emotional well being of others, Slinkies - learn through movement and choice. The writer went on to say that many dropouts are Slinkies because school doesn't typically use this style.

So if you identify the style your children's teachers are and then identify your children you can see the challenges one might face. The writer also said that the categories of learners not only defines the classroom but also defines the workplace, church or social group.

I of course had to engage Breck in identifying ourselves and our kids; the results Griffin very much a Slinky, Jared a Teddy bear, Breck a Magnifying lens and me well I have to go with Teddy Bear. I'm not sure what that says about our family but I think that there is probably a little bit of each category in all of us. I also think what it is you are trying to learn would factor in as to what style might be the most effective. I know when we sang our phone number and address Griffin picked it up immediately. I do see the importance of being creative to engage Griff in learning new things and sometimes it is exhausting. Jared can use the paper clip method just fine but I see that way is difficult for Griff.

I pray that their teachers recognize that not all their students learn things the same way and that they use a variety of styles to capture the attention of all the kids. I think this year Griff's teacher is a Paper clip.......Jared's seem to be Slinkies. Interesting to think about!

Next time I'm having to explain something to Griffin or Jared I'm going to keep this info in mind and see if it might make things go easier and smoother! I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment