Photo from 2007 But still so Cute!!Today Jared's baseball team had a little scrimmage with the ball team he played on in the fall. Last fall Jared played on a team for fall ball, as they call it, where each Sunday afternoon they would play a double header. The weather was usually pretty nice and it was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The team he was on has their own ball field. Yes you read that right! The head coach has some land where he built a baseball field. Now let me tell you it is not the sandlot it is field of dreams. Beautiful field with great fencing and trees that provide shade for the spectators. It really is amazing and such a privilege to be able to play there.
The Coach of Jared's team this year arranged for them to scrimmage Jared's fall team so we knew many players on both sides. The coaches on both sides are all very encouraging and gracious to Jared. I love seeing others encourage him.
For those of you that know me, probably know I'm a little opinionated when it comes to the sports my children are participating in. I think I have mentioned this before but I come from a very enthusiastic sports family, in fact my brother is a College Baseball Coach. So I guess you might say I have baseball in my blood since I probably have logged more hours watching it than any other sport. Jared is playing 9 and under competitive kid pitch. Usually I'm not interested in competitive but I talked to a Mom whose son played instructional last season and she said it was so boring because all they did was walk or get hit by the ball. I figured the competitive might have more kids that have some skill and would be able to put the ball in play more and let the kids actually learn some things. So here we are in competitive but the season hasn't started yet so I'll keep you posted if it was a good decision or not.
I'm constantly learning and one of the things I learned about myself and I think I already knew really was how badly I want to protect my boys from pain. I also realize that from pain often growth comes. I have been saying "Jared can't pitch he's just not mentally tough enough" You see Jared is a passionate little guy in a big boy body. He feels and cares deeply, so much so that his emotions are huge and come out in tears at times. He also can be really hard on himself and just get so down. If you know baseball you know how much pressure is on a pitcher so I don't want my baby to pitch! Or so I thought.........today after watching several of our kids attempt to pitch and not be hugely successful I started thinking that perhaps my thought process wasn't really the best for him. Breck immediately after the game told Jared that he wanted him to try and pitch. Jared was really hesitant and I'm sure it was very much in part to my opinions and attitudes. I don't know if I'll ever learn just to keep my mouth shut and my opinions to myself.
Once we got home Breck and Jared worked hard out in the yard on pitching, catching and batting. Jared now thinks he would like to try pitching. I had to have a little heart to heart talk with him and tell him I was sorry for saying I didn't think pitching was a good thing for him. How grateful I am that he has such a good Dad that knows how to push his son to do more than he even thinks is possible. I really have to trust God more and realize I can not spare my children from pain. Pain and disappointment are very real parts of life and they just can not be avoided. I wish they could be but I know they can't. I also can't control no matter how hard I try when pain and disappointment will come for them. I can just be there to love them and encourage them.
Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:
Post a Comment