Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Boys

I guess I will start with the oldest one first. Here is our guy that loves to make you laugh! He always has and I guess always will.try to get a giggle anywhere he can get it. His expression he uses now when something doesn't go his way is "Oh Snap"! I have to say given all the choices I am really liking that one. My poor Jared it seems he has inherited some of mine and Breck's not so great traits. I would like to just put it all on Breck but there are too many out there that know me and would realize I wasn't being honest.

Jared is a bit of a talker. I don't mean an occasional talker I mean a constant non-stop talker where you wonder if he is really able to catch his breath. I was unaware of his talking until his current teachers pointed it out to us. When we went to his teacher conference his teachers said "He talks too much" Now I have to say they adore him and think he is funny and one of his teachers told me she finds herself laughing when she shouldn't because he is very clever, however they could use less talk. I have to take credit for this one, it seems that on all my report cards starting in kindergarten each nine weeks the teacher comments were the same "really enjoy having Julie in class BUT too much talk". I don't remember what age but I do remember clearly the day my Mother said to me "you know not everyone wants to hear you talk". I'm not sure it deterred me but I do remember making a conscious effort to be a better listener. Strike one for Jared....

It also seems that Jared doesn't really effectively listen. Again I have to take credit for this one. I see clearly when he thinks he is listening because he's not talking, but really all he is doing is thinking about what he's going to say after you finish talking. I got out paper and pencil the other night to diagram for him and try to explain the differences in hearing, listening, effective listening and waiting your turn to talk. I think he got it but will have to just wait and see. Strike two for Jared.....

Now this last one is all Breck, finally. Jared is really hard on himself, if he makes a mistake or a bad choice he will just beat himself up. Breck recognizes this one and has had some discussions to encourage Jared in this area. Jared will just hold onto something and think everyone else is remembering it too which then just makes him feel so bad. Strike three for Jared....

Bless his heart really. I didn't figure some of this stuff out about me until I was much older. I just want to spare him some of the lessons I learned the hard way but then I think am I being too hard on him and wanting too much. He is such a sensitive, kind hearted and compassionate kid. He is my rule follower and honest. I love his passion and how deeply he feels, I tell him it can be used for good or evil and he just has to learn how to use it to benefit. His heart is bent towards God so much and I have know doubts that God has big plans for my little guy. He loves standing up for the little guy and seems to be able to reach out to someone who needs a friend. I will continue to pray for wisdom as to how best to encourage and correct.

I'll post a clever story from him another day and hope I'll be able to attach a picture because you know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

This is Griff's wicked eyebrows. He too loves to make us laugh and has recently realized some special little features he has and tricks he can do with his eyebrows. He can really arch his eyebrows and give you a devious look.

This little face is what I call his gremlin face because he scrunches it up and then does a little growling noise. Now his favorite little saying when things don't go his way is "Oh tartar sauce"! That one always makes me laugh. I'm not sure but I think he got that from the movie 'Night at the Museum'.
Griff is our "Ferris Buehler" everyone knows him and people are really drawn to him it seems. When we go into church it is not uncommon to hear "hey Griffin" several times without anyone else in our family being greeted. We were at an OSU game in the Suites and some college guy comes by and says "Hey Griffin" he apparently was at summer camp and knew Griff. Griffin won the robot dance contest at camp. I have a friend that said to me just the other day "all my friends seem to know Griffin". At school teachers that don't have him in class seem to know him too, one even tells him to come by for candy. It really is the craziest thing to Breck and I but we love it and it doesn't seem to bother Jared at all. Jared recognizes that Griff is just out there and he seems to be content to blend in with us as we watch Griff capture peoples attention. He is an infectious little guy with a wonderful smile.
Now lest you think I'm playing favorites here Griffin has his issues too. Griff is very impulsive and would be the reason some rules were made. One of our babysitters described it this way, you know when you go to camp and there are some rules you think who would ever do that.......well Griffin did.......thus the rule! He is the one who will try and get away with whatever he can get away with. We have struggled with his honesty and I have to say he has made great strides in that area. He still will just stare at you when he's being asked something he doesn't want to answer. Oh that boy!
Just like Jared his heart is bent towards God too, and I have no doubts God has great plans for Griffin. Griffin has a beautiful singing voice and has a passion for music. He sang one Sunday in church and I was told by numerous people there wasn't a dry eye on them or anyone around them. It really was a very special time.
Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment