Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Innocence

Well here he is the most precious 8 year old with such innocence. I know there will be a day in the not so distant future that I will long for the days of his innocence. A couple of things have happened recently that just remind me of how cool it is to see the world through the eyes of a child.


Last week after basketball practice we went to Academy to get Jared outfitted for the start of baseball and this was really the only time available to do that. Well we arrived in the parking lot and got out of the van when a large man approached a man in a truck in front of us and that man did not hesitate but drove off rather quickly. O.K. so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed I did hesitate and the man caught sight of me and began his approach. He began saying he hoped that man had bad things befall him so I immediately said that is not very nice to say! I know why am I talking to him........I don't know I just did. You know what's next he began telling us his hard luck story about how he lost his house.....Griffin immediately said "we'll pray for you!" Of course the man said "I'm not finished"....of course he wasn't he hadn't had a chance to ask for money. Anyway he continued with his hard luck story and his wife and baby walk up.....yes there was a little baby out in the night air in the middle of the parking lot. This man said Victory was going to help them tomorrow and he had to work tonight but he needed to get his wife and baby a room for the night so he needed $56 and he would wash my windows......he of course through out phrases like "I come in Peace" "In Jesus name" "God Bless you" He also talked about Obama...losing his house....and a whole lot of stuff that just confused Griffin because Griff likes to interject anytime he can so Griff would say "Obama took your house?" I was trying to just hurry and make our encounter as brief as possible but Jared and I are still taking the time to try and help Griff to understand. Again I don't know why I'm allowing all this time but I did. I'm not convinced it wasn't a scam but with the woman and baby I dug in my wallet and gave him $5....not much but something. I told the boys I didn't know if he was telling the truth or not but since the baby was there I wanted to help in some way. Jared immediately said he thought the guy was telling the truth because he talked about God!


When we got home and conveyed the story to Breck, you can probably imagine his words of encouragement for me........Needless to say the boys also got a lecture on how important it was to look around a parking lot before you get out of the car. He instructed them that they needed to help Mom because let's face it "she ain't the most observant" We survived our encounter and I will be more observant. I think we can have teachable moments about giving to those in need without meeting up with strangers in a parking lot at night when it's just me and the boys!


O.K. I have yet another story of innocence that happened just today at the Tire Barn! Yes you never know when you will get to experience a moment of innocence. Right after school me and the boys go to have the van's front end checked out. I figure the boys can get there homework done while we wait, which includes 20 minutes of reading. There are lots of magazines.....car, outdoor life, and a wildlife deer book. Griffin is our wildlife lover and settles on the big deer book but is really not reading as much as he is looking at all the pictures. Of course I had only scanned a few pages before I handed it off. Are you ready for this? Griff of course finds a photo of two deer mating, and fortunately for me Griffin is not as curious as Jared and usually or often presents himself as knowing more than he does. He shows me the photo and says "I think that one deer got shot and the other deer is helping him" My response "That's nice" Jared's response "I don't think people should shoot deer" I'm also grateful that Jared didn't ask to see the picture because I"m not sure he would have just agreed. I think he would have read the caption to see what was really going on! Whoooo dodged one there!

My little innocent ones that I cherish!

Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, those were some cute stories. I had to share them with Justin, who said for me to ask the boys about the deer on Sunday! I hope you have had a great week, and I look forward to seeing you soon......

    ReplyDelete