Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools Day


This morning Jared was excited about the possibility of pulling some April Fools pranks, yet he didn't really understand what constituted an "April Fools". He started off by hiding next to the fridge, waiting to jump out and scare Griff by yelling "April Fools". I of course had to explain to him what an April Fools prank was and what it wasn't. I wondered how did April Fools day start so of course you can google anything you want to know and find an answer. I found a couple of sites and they pretty much said the same thing so I thought....I will educate my friends on the origins of "April Fools".


The Following is what I found:


Although not considered a holiday in its own right, April Fools Day (or All Fools’ Day) is celebrated in many countries on April 1. The day-long observance is marked by hoaxes and practical jokes played on gullible individuals who may come from among the members of one’s family, circle of friends, neighbors, or even those with whom one has incurred enmity.
The origin of April Fools’ Day is not clear. There are varying accounts as to how it began. One version has it that it was first celebrated soon after the adoption of the Gregorian Calendar and the term "April Fool" referred to someone who still adhered to the Julian Calendar that it replaced. Another account has it that in pre-Christian cultures, May Day (May 1) was celebrated as the first day of summer that signaled the beginning of the spring planting season, and an April Fool was someone who celebrated the season prematurely – in April. Still another source, which is based on an English newspaper article published on April 13, 1789, traces the origin of April Fools’ Day to the day when Noah sent off a raven too early, before the waters had receded; it is said that the day the raven was sent off corresponded to the first day of the Hebrew month of April.


Regardless of its origin, April Fools’ Day has become a popular celebration around the world. Among the most popular jokes played on the gullible during the day include borrowing money, sending someone on a foolish errand, getting others to look for things that do not exist; playing pranks, and getting people to believe ridiculous things.


So there you have it!

Breck said the best April Fools joke he had played on him was when someone left him a note to call Mr. Bair. He said he called the number didn't pay attention to what was said when the gal answered the phone and he asked to speak to Mr. Bair (Bear). She said "Sir this is the Tulsa Zoo, someone may be playing a prank on you" Oh yeah he fell for that one. I can just see my sweet husband in business mode returning the call and not even thinking April Fools. I'm sure whoever pulled that one was rolling on the floor. I giggle just thinking about him doing that.


Today I said very sternly to Griff, "Is that a hole in your jeans?" Griff begins to nervously look and try to find the hole, Breck starts to get onto Jared because he is snickering, (Jared was not fooled) but 2 out of 3 not bad. Jared came home from school today and said he was able to get a lot of kids with his April Fools jokes. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall and watched his efforts. He has always loved making people laugh, so I'm sure if he is ever President April Fools will become a National Holiday!


So Happy April Fools Day to all of you......happy pranking!


Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Did you catch the Kramer pic in the office yesterday that Patrick put up in the office?

    ReplyDelete