Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bug Man


I think I've told you how much Griffin loves bugs....well I guess in his classroom all of the kids got caterpillars to watch transform. I'm not exactly sure how it goes but Griffin said he put his caterpillar in the jar with a piece of paper over the top and then he put the lid on. I don't know if they feed them or what but the hope is they build a cocoon or chrysalis (Jared loves saying that word, I didn't even know that word but believe me I didn't admit it) and then change into a butterfly witnessed by the kids.


Like I said I don't know many details, like how long does this take, do they handle the jars, do they feed the critter.....etc...... Anywho Griffin comes home today and says "Mom it's kinda sad but my caterpillar "Baby Genius" is dead and I don't know why. All of the other kids caterpillars are bigger but mine is little and I tried to feed him but he wouldn't eat" my response "Well Griff if he's dead he's not going to be eating" Griffin then says he asked his teacher if he could have a funeral for him and her response was NO.....


Of all the kids to have a dead caterpillar....why Griff? Of course Jared is in the mix of the conversation and he offers up that his caterpillar had died too when he was in second grade. What? I didn't know he had a caterpillar that died last year? I am definitely going to be left out of the loop in his life. I've got to make friends with a girl mom if I'm ever going to know what's happening in his class.


I then have to say what's up with my boys getting dud caterpillars when my boys are the nicest and best boys. Jared immediately jumped in on that one and said "I know, this one kid who was really a pest to the teachers, his caterpillar didn't die." Jared surmised that only the nice boys caterpillars die.......I have to agree!


I guess the dead caterpillar story opened Jared up because then he shared about a plant he had planted that died even after he had taken such good care of it. He said some other kids put tape on their plant to make it stand up straight and theirs lived while his died. Again I have to take credit for the brown thumb..Breck says when I buy plants he calls them pre-mulch. Let's just say my luck with plants that need care will not survive but those that thrive on neglect...look out!
Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. Poor Griff! And why was he not allowed to bring his caterpillar home to bury? Things like that just make us Moms want to give the teacher a surprise visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am cracking up at how you feel like you need to make friends with a girls mom in the class so that you can hear the real stuff. So true! Blake's mom says all the time that she's so glad to have daughter-in-laws now so she knows what's going on with her boys! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh....so sad about the catipillar....hey - check you cel phone - I am trying to track you down! Call me back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OKay - that was from becki - I am not sure why it said it was from David...so here it goes again...It will probably say it is from David again!

    ReplyDelete