Monday, April 6, 2009

+++Personality +++

Griff is the little guy on the far left sitting in Mr. Gibbs outdoor classroom.


Last week I went on a field trip with Griff's class to the conservation reserve at Rogers State University. It was the day when the temperature dropped about 15 degrees and the wind was sweeping down the plain, always in Oklahoma. Anyway it was very interesting and Mr. Gibbs did a great job of keeping the kids attention with his indoor classroom and his outdoor classroom.

Looks like everyone is on the path since this is the patch of kids with the controlling gal.

We went on a hike through the wetlands on a boardwalk with only one side that was railed, which was a little unnerving when you've got 50 second graders that are supposed to stay on the path. When we first began the hike Mr. Gibbs asked the kids to please stay on the path since it was muddy. This is where it got fun for me to watch....you know because their personalities are formed and it was so interesting to watch the rule followers and those that like to push the envelope. There was a little band of girls that were sticking together and their feet were dangling off the path....half on and half off.....sometimes they would put their foot off the path and then pull it back.....there was another little girl that would hold her arms out and try to control all those around her to stay back and stay on the path. Then there was my little Griff and he was ......wait for it......wait for it.........off the path completely because obviously he did not hear the rule or pay attention to the rule since it did not apply to him.

Griffin was so in his element with the bugs and getting to dig in the dirt. One of the activities Mr. Gibbs had in his inside classroom was equipping each child with a magnifying glass and a tray of dirt for them to dig through and discover live worms and bugs. Again there were girls who had no interest in the dirt nope notta ounce of interest. It seemed most of the boys enjoyed discovering in the dirt but Griff could not get enough....he loved it. He handled every bug and worm he could find.

My little scientist investigating the bugs and worms!

We ate lunch in two groups and the first group apparently did not get offered the option of staying inside for lunch because they sat outside in the windy cold at the picnic tables. Our group sat inside on the floor, that is all but two little girls. These two little girls happened to be part of the group whose feet were half off the path. They were not going to sit on the floor to eat their lunch and made themselves comfortable in the chairs. Of course there were a couple of little girls on the floor that had to try and get the teacher to make those girls sit on the floor like everyone else. The teacher instructed the floor girls to just worry about themselves. I'm sure the floor girls will be told that alot in their lives and the chair girls will chart new paths and drive the floor girls crazy. Wouldn't it be fun to see them when they are all grown up and what they do with their life. Of course I believe my Griff will for sure be charting new paths.

As Griffin and I shared our lunch together he wanted to talk about all of the bugs and critters inside the classroom. O.K. I'm a chair girl but I conformed and was a floor girl with my son but I had to draw the line about our lunch conversation. Breck reprimanded me when we got home when I told him I wouldn't let Griff talk about the bugs while we ate. I don't want to think about bugs or critters eating each other while I'm choking down my crunchy peanut butter and jelly sandwich. After all I had Madagascar cockroaches right next to me. Remember I'm a chair girl but I'm a boy mom so sometimes I have to flex to the floor girl.
You guessed it Madagascar cockroaches and they are huge!

Next time you get a chance to go on a field trip with your kid's class I highly recommend it, after all you never know what you might learn. I did also learn it takes 500 years to make one inch of soil. That's one of those obscure facts you can bring out at a party! :)

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment