Saturday, May 23, 2009

Obedience

What does obedience mean? Websters says an act or instance of obeying. What.....are you kidding me? I could have made that up, and I know you're probably wondering what's up with these one word titles? Just the two words God is talking to me about! So what does obedience mean to me? If you look in the middle of obedience...what word do you see? Yep you're right it's "die" so I think dieing to self and acting on what God is calling me to do. Obedience does require action which often takes trusting God to give me the courage to be obedient. Do you see how this could all get really confusing and difficult to follow.

To summarize I guess you could say I'm obediently trusting God! I kind of feel like Dori and Marlin in 'Finding Nemo' when they caught the EAC (Eastern Australian Current) and were riding it to Sydney. That's where they met Crush and Squirt the sea turtles. Marlin and Dori had just come through the Jellyfish when they got in the EAC. Crush says to Marlin "You've got some serious thrill issues dude"......I know I digress but if you've seen the movie you can kind of picture the thrill ride. At least I'm hoping that gives you a visual. Back to the obedience issue.....well I would say it is comparable to having a thrill issue because being obedient to God is an incredible adventure. It is exciting, thrilling and scary all at the same time but the excitement and thrill outweigh the unknowns. Besides God is not an unknown...He is completely trustworthy!


We Rykers have caught the EAC and are trusting God with every step of our journey. It is so cool to see the faith of the boys and their desire to trust God. Because let me just tell you we do not have all the answers. In my bible study this week Priscilla Shire was talking saying that it seems like more miracles happen in Third World countries than here in the U.S. She said when she asked this lady that lived in a Third World country why....her reply is because that's all we have.....believing and trusting God....in the U.S. we have many resources and attempt to find or make our own miracles instead of trusting the Inventor and Deliverer of Miracles. I know that has been true in my life, I have tried to figure it all out and make everything work.


Now I'm flying without a net, well not really because I have God. I guess I'm saying I'm not depending on me to take care of and figure it all out but I'm trusting God with it all. When questions come my way about our journey I have to say "I don't know but God does and that's good enough for me!" God is good all the time and All the time God is good! We are thrilled beyond words as to what the future holds for our family. I promise I will deliver more news about our EAC Ride when appropriate. For now please continue to pray for us whenever the Lord brings us to mind.....He knows the details.

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Seriously Julie. I can't handle it. I am crying. This post is beyond perfect. You have described this journey you are on so perfectly with your EAC scene. I think that's what I love so much about all of this. There really isn't anything that we can all do but to trust him and to pray. This is so incredible to watch your family go through this, and I know that the boys are learning so much about faith and marriage through you and Breck in this. I am praying and i love you all more than you will ever know.

    Thank you for this post. That part from your devo about the US is so true. What great insight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome post! Thank you for sharing! Your family is such a shining light for God! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to have to change some of that description near the top of your blog. It's getting outdated.

    --Husband

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the thrill of obedience to the Lord and I'm so happy that you guys are living in agreement through the thrill :) can't wait to see what the Lord does with your precious family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep seeing sly little comments on Breck's statuses and your posts and I'm craving a conversation with you :) Would love to hear how things are going for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete