Friday, May 15, 2009

Parenting 101

Today is one of those days you hope never happens....a phone call from the Principal. Yep Griffin's Principal called to say Griffin had just been in her office with the Campus Police. It is important to remain calm when getting a phone call like this.....

The Principal told me Griffin along with 2 other boys had taken some math manipulatives (fake coins) and used them in the pencil machine. She had a campus policeman there for the meeting to try and impress upon these boys the seriousness of their crime. It is her hope that enough fear is put into them that they don't ever try something like that again. She assured me that Griffin seemed remorseful and had to write some apologies. I asked for the number of coins used so I could have Griffin bring her money from his piggy bank on Monday.

Twelve coins were used in total which would equal $3.00 Well I looked in the bible for some wisdom about stealing....theft....lies What I found was if someone took one sheep then they had to give 5 sheep back to replace what was stolen. So Griffin had to basically empty his piggy bank so he can take $15 to Mrs. Lair.

Breck and I sat down with Griffin and tried to understand what happened and his part in all of it. We wanted to make it clear that being associated with others that were making bad choices made him guilty as well. It was not real money but it got the same results as if it were real. We wanted him to understand that taking something that did not belong to you was stealing and using fake money to get pencils was stealing as well. Oh how I pray he really understands.

Griffin really does think outside the box....just last night he put some of his old lost teeth with the one tooth he lost yesterday in the tooth fairy pillow, hoping this would get him more money. Then today I find out he used fake money to get pencils. Clever?.....yes.....worrisome?.....yes We want him to use his creative mind for good not for bad. George Barna is a statistician that says by the age of 9 what a child believes about right and wrong is largely set in place. My time is running out, Griff will be 9 in February.

We feel like lies and deceitful acts have to have consequences that will deter our children's behavior. It is important to us they understand how vital it is we have trust between us and without it privileges will be greatly reduced. I know the issue of trust is so vital and is difficult for kids to understand but I do think they can understand that telling lies and taking items that don't belong to you are bad choices.

Griffin is a sweet, precious boy that is gifted with a charming personality, smile and musical talent. I love him and am so grateful to God that He made him ours. Griffin will miss out on a birthday party this weekend as well. You know as a parent you never know if what you're doing is the right thing or not. We assured Griffin we love him and he made a very bad choice, and one we don't ever want him to make again. It is painful as a parent when you have to discipline your child by taking away something you know they were looking forward to.

Sometimes you have to write about the ugly to keep it real.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Again you amaze me, your parenting, your insight and your guidance in Biblical principles is amazing...thank you for being a role model that I need and reminding me that in every instance to remain calm no matter what...I have found as a parent that it so hard to watch your child experience pain and disappoiment, but so important in their development into mature Godly adults. You and Breck are awesome! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh such a great story..and you had such great wisdom. I love how you found what the Bible said to do, and showed him that. I think your parenting gets an A plus!

    ReplyDelete