Monday, October 4, 2010

Parenting 5009


O.K. it's titled that way because we need a Master's Degree in parenting. Whooo Wheee! We've got a little newly turned 9 year old that would just rather lie to you then tell you the truth. We are kind of at our wits end as to what to do.

I wish I understood why she lies. I wish I knew what to do to make her stop. I wish she would embrace the truth. We have tried lots of different approaches and some that have made me cry. It is mind boggling at times especially when she lies about stupid stuff. I'm talking things that don't matter. Why? When telling the truth would be just as easy? It really doesn't make any sense to us.

I have a friend and she shared with me that she told lots of lies when she was younger because she wanted people to like her. She also told me when I share my stories with her about our youngest it brings back memories of her childhood of things she did. Breck has told me that he believes there is a big discrepancy in what Tori wants you to believe about her and what she really believes about herself. Oh how I wish the light bulb would go off in her head and she would understand that the truth is always the best way.

If only she would understand what it means to walk in the truth and the freedom she would experience. It's got to be so draining to tell one lie after another. I pray that she gets caught in every lie she tells and suffers the consequences. I've asked her brothers and sister to pray for her and I've told Tori to ask for God's help. She is not strong enough to overcome this habit she has established. I wish she could fast forward her life to see what will happen if she doesn't change this pattern of lying. We are not able to paint her a strong enough picture to get her to stop the lying.

Wednesday she will not go to the fair with the rest of the family..........Oh how I pray something will click for her!

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Well I would love to be able to give you an answer. But I am so sorry for your loss. Keep up the good work, persistence pays off! One day it will click, in the meantime I will do the only thing I know to do....PRAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness Julie I'll be praying for Tori and for you guys. If Tori is able to own up to a lie when she's confronted with it, I'd suggest having her go back to the people she told it to and practice saying "I'm sorry I told a lie, the truth is..." even on the small stuff. If she's consistent with that practice she'll get tired of having to re-do her communication all the time and may choose to be truthful. But all in all, Our Father can give you insights about her and how you could get the message through to her in a personal way. I believe she'll come around!

    ReplyDelete